Next week Frensham will be hosting a group of 20 students (Years 8 and 9) and two staff from Paya Lebar Methodists Girls’ School (PLMGS) in Singapore (15-21 March). When Deputy Head Geoff Marsh and Head of Innovation (Mathematics) and International Partnerships May Wong visited PLMGS last year, they were particularly impressed with the ethos of the school and its close alignment to Frensham’s values – and the friendship initiated has resulted in next week’s programme. PLMGS will be here for an immersion trip where they will be ‘in-class’ for three days as well as joining our musicians for the Year 10 Weekend performances. PLMGS’ status as a Centre of Excellence in Creative Arts in Singapore sparked their interest in involvement with us, for experience in an Australian School where pursuit of excellence in the performing arts is embedded in the culture of the School.
Open Day and Year 7 Parent Weekend
We are grateful for the feedback offered by current parents and visitors to the School over the Open Day / Year 7 Parent Weekend. I include some notes for general interest – comments we have shared with teachers and students:
- From a parent of a new boarder in Year 7: ‘We very much enjoyed the Welcome Dinner, Saturday Sport, meeting some new Yr 7 parents and staff members, the Service today and most importantly seeing our daughter looking so happy and well. She has certainly settled in and is enjoying her first term at Frensham.
- From a parent of a new boarder in Year 7: ‘Every single aspect of the weekend is so meticulously planned and prepared and, as a visitor, it rolls so smoothly. I know that is due to the tireless preparation from a huge team, and a commitment after hours from all your staff and their spouses. Please pass on our thanks to all involved!
- From an Old Girl here for the 50 Year Reunion: ‘Congratulations to all - wonderful staff and girls seeming to work as a perfect team effort, the results of which shall be long remembered in the hearts of parents and old girls alike...’
We also had many comments about the centrality and standard of musical performance – across the full weekend’s events, including in the Cooper Hall programme on Open Day. One excerpt from a new parent email:
‘My husband could not believe the standard of singing in the whole school. I know that this standard does not happen without the high expectations and support from the music department of not just the special ones, but of every single girl and her voice. Please pass on our high praise!’
Staffing Update – Careers Counselling
In support of senior students, Mrs Cherylynne Williams, Careers Advisor, will be returning to Frensham from next week to work in particular with Year 12 (continuing the one-on-one Careers planning interviews commenced in Term 4 last year) and with Year 10 (Work Experience planning). Mrs Williams will speak to Year 10 parents as part of the Plenary Session in Clubbe Hall at 8.30am next weekend and will schedule interviews for Year 12, as well as speak with the year group as a whole, re their personal preparation for tertiary entry.
- Students and staff for the hosting of new families, current parents and the 50 Year Reunion group here for Frensham’s Open Day and for all elements of the Year 7 Parent Weekend including the School Service and Concert;
- Gib Gate and Frensham teachers involved in Outdoor Education and Leadership programmes over the past week; we appreciate the generous-spirited efforts by teachers to step out of their personal comfort zone, in support of these extremely valuable experiences for students;
- Sienna Campese (Year 9) for her selection in the NSW Blues Hockey Team U15 to play in the National Championships from 8-14 April;
- The Gib Gate and Frensham Equestrian Teams, acknowledged at the Annual Equestrian NSW Awards Dinner, for 2018 achievements. Representing Frensham and Gib Gate: Charlotte Lalak (Captain of Equestrian), Emily Gubbins, Zoe Renowden and Olivia Salkeld (Vice Captains of Equestrian), Alexandra Inglis and Elizabeth Taylor (Year 7) were also joined by Old Girl, Olivia Barton (2017). 2018 Awards: Champion Primary School (for the fourth successive year) – Gib Gate, trophy collected by Alexandra and Elizabeth; Champion Secondary School – Frensham (for the sixth concessive year); Alexandra Inglis – Champion Primary Show Jumper, Champion Primary Combined Training, Overall Primary Champion; Elizabeth Taylor – Owner of the Year (Show Horse); Olivia Barton (2017) – Junior Eventing Athlete of the Year.
- Frensham da Vinci Decathlon Team members: Year 7: Poppy Carter, Claudia Hampson, Cate Horsfall, Sophie Simpson, Eva Telford, Lilly Treweeke, Sidney Wheeler, Amy Wimalaratne; Year 8: Scarlett Alldis, Bella Cay, Elise Davies, Pia D'Rozario, Sophie Hassall, Eliza Mulligan, Summer Oxley, Hilary Swan; Year 9: Ankitha Avvari, Yusra Chalak, Zoe Gallagher, Holly Horsfall, Olivia Laverty, Charlotte Senior, Emily Senior, Mia Shakeshaft; Year 10: Eliza Friend, Emilie Hassall, Grace Lewis, Harriet Mackie, Caitlin Quinn, Annabelle Ranken, Georgia Shakeshaft, Eleanor Swan;
- Frensham Birthday Play cast for Present Laughter by Noël Coward: Adele Bouniol-Laffont (Monica), Attica Darling (Daphne), Adelaide Darvall (Joanna), Gina Macken (Liz Essendine), Sophie McLean (Gary Essendine) (Year 12); Millicent Bolger (Henry), Olivia Hamilton (Morris), Caitlin Hargraves (Miss Erikson), Lillie Morrison (Fred), Brodie van Egmond (Lady Saltburn), Cate Watson (Roland) (Year 11);
- The Gib Gate and Frensham Swimming Teams for their success at the recent Southern Highlands Carnivals.